Thursday, March 23, 2006

I Ain't No Fortunate Son

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate son, no no no,
Creedence Clearwater Revival
.
Some people are fortunate enough to be born to rich parents. They don't have to do anything at all, just come into the world. They draw their first breath-Rich.
.
Others come out of the gene pool, with exceptionally good looks-Movie Star.
.
Or maybe it's height and big hands-NBA MVP.
.
Perhaps, blazing speed-Heisman Trophy Winner.
.
They are all, as some people put it, members of the Lucky Sperm Club. They have it all, because, maybe, one sperm swam faster in the right gene pool, than all of the others. For whatever reason, they were born lucky-fortunate.
.
I was not born a 'fortunate son'. I am a member of another club. It is similar in concept. Members of my club, may or may not, have it all. But, we all share one thing in common and that is a 'lucky birth'. We are military parents, lucky enough to have had one or more children, who serve their country. By accident of birth, we became 'lucky', fortunate.
.
This is a club that I don't deserve to be in. I've always felt that I was not a good dad. Maybe, I ain't no fortunate son, but, by the grace of God, I am a fortunate father.

Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site