Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mexico Demands U.S. Allow More Immigration

By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer Tue Jan 10, 2:09 AM ET

MEXICO CITY - Diplomats from Mexico and Central America on Monday demanded guest worker programs and the legalization of undocumented migrants in the United States, while criticizing a U.S. proposal for tougher border enforcement.
The rest of the story:

I try to avoid getting off into political topics. But, living in Texas this one struck a nerve. What does the government of Mexico want the United States to do? Build more bridges. If I were a mexican citizen, I too, would come across the border into the U.S. in whatever way I could to take care of my family. But, I would understand that risk. I would not expect the government of the country that I was sneaking into, to make my illegal entry, legal or easier. The real problem for me in Texas, is that I'm aware that there are major drug gangs already establishing themselves in the DFW area and along the I-35 corridor. The expectation is, that drugs will turn Mexico into a northern Columbia. I don't know that accomodating the Mexican government by opening the floodgates will do anymore the shift the burden of taking care of Mexico's poorer people, from the government of Mexico, onto the american taxpayer along with the certainty of higher crime rates associated with drugs. The United States, through money sent home by mexican citizens, is already the second highest source of revenue to Mexico. No offense is intended by my comments.

Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site