Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Marine Artist Leaves Fingerprint on World



By U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Heidi E. Loredo
2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq, Nov. 22, 2005 — Before he found fame as the artist who painted the Sistine Chapel, Michelangelo was simply known as Michel.

Michelangelo left a mark in the world of creativity that will never be imitated. Cpl. Willie M. Rockward, armorer, 2nd Marine Headquarters Group, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), strives to do the same with his lifelong passion in art.

Rockward, 24, beamed with creativity and imagination, became interested in comic books for their artistic styles and drawings as he grew older.

“I followed the artists,” said the Houston native. “Some people bought the whole comic book series. If I saw a piece of art in a comic that I liked I’d buy that one comic book, not the whole series.”

Inspired by family members and his middle school art teacher, Rockward incorporated art into his daily routine.

“I wasn’t a disciplined kid,” said Rockward. “The biggest thing that got me in trouble was drawing in class. I’d be taking a math test, and I would draw on the test papers. It’s the same thing in the armory. There are sketches throughout the entire armory.”

As a high school graduate, Rockward was not ready to attend college and instead opted for the discipline the military offered.

The Rest of the Story:

Cpl. Rockward's interest in art is very similar to mine. I was, also, always in trouble for drawing in class. An interest in art should be a 'vice' that more are guilty of. Keep on with your sketching Cpl. Willie Rockward!


Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site