Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Butterfly Effect


I took this picture a few days ago. I had come to a stop, on the drive home from work, and I noticed this butterfly, a Monarch.
Every Spring, I watch for them, as they travel back to the North, just as I do every Fall, when they make their way through Texas on the way to Mexico for the Winter.
I am a cancer survivor and they remind me of the brevity and beauty of life.
The average life span of a butterfly is 20 t0 40 days. I believe that the Monarch butterfly may live as long as six months. I'm not sure. I once thought that my own life might not last anymore time than that.
After my radiation and chemo treatments were over, I had new hope and a new appreciation for life. That first spring, after my treatments, was remarkable for it's beauty. The trees were budding in beautiful shades of green against a deep azure sky. The fields were blanketed with spring flowers and, visiting the flowers, were the butterflies. New life was everywhere.
I have seen things, in nature, in finer detail and more vivid hues, ever since.
Monarch butterflies effect me that way.

Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site