Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans Day 2006

I thought that I should take the time to remember and honor my family on this Veterans Day.
.
My father's father was a Pennsylvania National Guardsman and Marine for six years leading up to the start of WWI. I didn't have an picture that I could scan and post today, so, I used the poster below. He was named after Presidents Harrison and McKinley. He passed that name onto my father.
.
My father was a WWII Navy Seabee, who repaired runways on islands in the South Pacific, making them usable for the advance on Japan. His brother was a Navy Corpsman. He repaired the injured who took those islands. My father is in the photo below, that was taken on my parents wedding day.
.
I was in the Army from 1965-1967. I was fortunate enough not to have been sent to Viet Nam. But, I strongly identify with those who did. I sometimes cry for them.
.
My oldest son is the young man in uniform, in the last picture below. The man in the photo with him is a survivor of Mogadishu, Somalia ('Black Hawk Down'). Both warriors are Bronze Star winners. I am proud to say that my son has two Bronze Stars. I am sure that he would be embarrassed to know that I have mentioned that. In fact, he didn't tell me. I had to get that, by looking at the ribbons he is wearing in the picture.
.
I expect that there are many American families with similiar histories. My profound thanks to them all, for their distinguished service to their country.






Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site