Thursday, April 27, 2006

A DFW Airport Homecoming


Today, it was my priviledge to witness another DFW Airport Homecoming, as troops are welcomed home. As always, the noise from the cheering, whistles and applause, was deafening. Here are some things that I observed today:
.
A Lifetime Member of the VFW was there with his own camera taking pictures. Whenever, he saw a soldier greeted by his girlfriend or wife and family, he would ask if he could take their picture. After he snapped the shot, he would reach into his pocket and give them a business card, that I assume he had done at his expense. He would say to the soldier, "If you want a copy of the picture, here's my e-mail address. Contact me and I'll send it to you." All on his time, with his camera and at his expense. What do you do with your free time?
.
I saw a soldier, who after first hugging his wife, reached out to take the child she held, seeing his baby for the first time.
.
I saw members of DFW Police, Fire Department and EMS, lined up alongside of everyone else, applauding the troops.
.
I saw three sisters give out a loud cheer as they saw their brother come through the door, all hugging him at same time.
.
I saw a mom with her toddler on her hip. He was dressed in a red shirt, and blue pants. The little patriot held his hand out behind him. Each soldier who passed him, shook it. The boy never pulled his hand back. Do you think, that the lessons that he learned today from his mom will beat anything that he ever learns in a classroom?
.
I saw a woman gasp, with relief and joy, when she saw her man come through the door. With tears streaming down her face, she stood on her toes and threw her arms around his neck, burying her face against his shoulder. She cried all of the way out of the Terminal. I did too.

Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site