Friday, November 11, 2005

Thank a Vet Today

My thoughts on Veterans Day.



When I got up this morning I was rested, having slept safely in the comfort of my home. Those who made that so, slept fitfully in a dangerous land, awaiting their turn to keep the wolves at bay.

When I took a sip of my coffee, I took a deep breath of it's Hazelnut aroma, made all the sweeter by the fresh air of freedom.


When, I drive to work this morning, I will play Toby Keith's 'American Soldier'. I do that every morning to remind myself of why I need to do the best job that I can of protecting the American public. How can I do less this day, than those in the military who protected me the night before.

I will see soldiers passing through the airport where I work. For their service to their country, I will thank them, as I thanked several yesterday. I will urge them to hug their children or kiss their mother, spend time with dad or a loved one.


Today, Veterans Day, will be a little different. I will remember my father, his father and my oldest son-veterans all. I will remember soldiers I served with and wonder, of those who went to Viet Nam, how many have their names etched in The Wall.

And tonight, when I go to sleep, I will pray for the safety of those in our military as I did the night before.

Previous List Random Join Next Grunt's Military Site